Welcome to the Tribe...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered500 Experience Points

Level

Default Counting Patients for Race, Ethnicity and Language - PCMH 1F

For PCMH 1F.1 and 1F.2 we are supposed to count the total number of speakers of various languages, the total number of patients of various races and ethnicity. We are also so supposed to give the percentage of our patient population made up by the various groups. I have looked at Data Explorer and it does not allow these demographic fields. I have used the Reports from the View Tab. These reports also count Archived Charts.

We have come up with cumbersome ways of using these reports but I wanted to know if I am missing something which makes getting these reports "simple".

Thank you,

Kathy

SOAPware Forum Junkie!
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive10000 Experience Points

Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy5013 View Post
    For PCMH 1F.1 and 1F.2 we are supposed to count the total number of speakers of various languages, the total number of patients of various races and ethnicity. We are also so supposed to give the percentage of our patient population made up by the various groups. I have looked at Data Explorer and it does not allow these demographic fields. I have used the Reports from the View Tab. These reports also count Archived Charts.

We have come up with cumbersome ways of using these reports but I wanted to know if I am missing something which makes getting these reports "simple".

Thank you,

Kathy
    I thought that the Census was supposed to do that!! Have the Tea Party managed to eliminate the Census Bureau and dump their work on us?

Achievements:

Level

We're supposed to demonstrate what our practice population is made up of. For example, the census might be able to tell you what percentage of your area was composed of Spanish speakers. However, let's say there was an Anglo-doctor and an Hispanic-doctor in town. It is unlikely that the percentage of Spanish speaking patients in each practice would reflect the general area percentages. - Kathy

SOAPware Forum Junkie!
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

We haven't attempted medical home yet, but we run a number of queries in our practice for PQRS data, vaccinations, etc. Data Explorer is a work in progress. Until it is more polished, it seems easiest to me to run the queries directly on the postgres database (I run on a test or backup server). I wrote a query this morning (latest version of soapware) that lists all patients who have been seen for a face to face visit since 1/1/2013 by race, ethnicity, language and provider. Is that what you need? If so, I'll email you the query. You'll probably need to ask soapware tech or database admin to run. Takes about 5 minutes. You can export and open in a spreadsheet.
    racequery.jpg

Achievements:

Level

Thank you. Yes, that is what I need. Can you refer me to something relatively straightforward which will teach me how to create queries? I can sort of make out what you're doing in the coding however I'm completely unfamiliar with the "language".

My impression is that Soapware developed SmartFlows to be able to do complex analysis of the data. I also thought that we users are supposed to eventually have access to generating our own SmartFlows - at least it's on a drop down menu!

With the queries, I presume you need to know the relationships among the tables ... or do you just write them for one table at a time? Do we have access to the database and relational structure?

Thanks again! - Kathy

SOAPware Forum Junkie!
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 102
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

Report / Queries such as these would be extremely helpful for data analysis. I really wish there would be some relatively easy way to do this inside of Soapware

Kathy

I recently certified for PCMH , I just made a spreadsheet and the front office staff checked it off during check in for the period of time.

James

SOAPware Forum Junkie!
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy5013 View Post
    Thank you. Yes, that is what I need. Can you refer me to something relatively straightforward which will teach me how to create queries? I can sort of make out what you're doing in the coding however I'm completely unfamiliar with the "language".

My impression is that Soapware developed SmartFlows to be able to do complex analysis of the data. I also thought that we users are supposed to eventually have access to generating our own SmartFlows - at least it's on a drop down menu!

With the queries, I presume you need to know the relationships among the tables ... or do you just write them for one table at a time? Do we have access to the database and relational structure?

Thanks again! - Kathy
    The language is SQL intermixed with some postgres specific functions. It's fun to learn if you like beating your head against the wall. If you'll PM me your email address I'll just send you the query. I figure as you list the queries you need for PCMH on the forum, I can write them. By the time you work your way through PCMH, I'll have all the queries we need for PCMH. If SOAPware is hosting your data you'll need to ask them if they will run the query (they may or may not agree). If the database server sits at your office, you'll need to get somebody who knows how to use pgadmin to run it (I would suggest the soapware tech so they can look at the query first to make sure they are in agreement). Keep in mind I run all my queries on a backup server. I trust myself, but I am very protective of our live data.

Administrator
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 127
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsOverdriveYour first Group

Level

It's nice to see a lot of great discussion and collaboration going on here. As mentioned in the SOAPware PCMH Accelerator documentation, the only SOAPware sanctioned way to generate the report that you're requesting is to use a manual log. We do have a version of SOAPware in development that has a completely revamped reporting engine but I cannot give an ETA of when it will be available. For now, I would either do the manual reporting, or chose a different item to report on - as we've mentioned in the PCMH Accelerator classes, some are easier than others, until our new reporting engine is out, you'll have to find the best fit for you and your practice.
    Andrew Money
    Web and Digital Strategy Manager
    SOAPware, Inc.