Welcome to the Tribe...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.


Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    SOAPware Forum Junkie!
    Points: 11,860, Level: 75
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 190
    Overall activity: 97.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second ClassOverdrive10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Downloads

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Highlands Ranch, Colorado
    Posts
    533
    Points
    11,860
    Level
    75

    Default Chronic Disease Care

    This is a little research project. I've heard, many times over the years, that it's the patients with 1 or more chronic diseases that are the most complex and time-consuming to treat.

    Logically this would seem to be true but can anyone point me to studies that back this up? Preferable broken down by disease.

    What aspects of this care do you find particularly burdensome to perform? What portions are the most time-consuming?

    Taking the top two diseases: High Blood Pressure and high Cholesterol. What actions can a patient directly take to improve their outcomes or decrease your workload?

    Tx

  2. #2
    SOAPware Forum Junkie!
    Points: 11,907, Level: 75
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    397
    Points
    11,907
    Level
    75

    Default

    The 80:20 rule applies to everything. 80% of the reduction in BP or cholesterol or any other chronic disease process is weight loss and exercise. The remaining 20% is getting the right meds. The most frustrating aspect of medical care is peoples concept of what food is. In my mind the foundation of a perfect primary care office, would include an exercise room with treadmills and elliptical machines, combined with a kitchen. Cooking classes to teach what Real Food is, how simple and fast it is to make, and an exercise room to teach patients how hard it is to burn off the excess food consumed. I dont' see any of that in CMS PQRS MU alphabet soup.

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lose View Post
    This is a little research project. I've heard, many times over the years, that it's the patients with 1 or more chronic diseases that are the most complex and time-consuming to treat.

    Logically this would seem to be true but can anyone point me to studies that back this up? Preferable broken down by disease.

    What aspects of this care do you find particularly burdensome to perform? What portions are the most time-consuming?

    Taking the top two diseases: High Blood Pressure and high Cholesterol. What actions can a patient directly take to improve their outcomes or decrease your workload?

    Tx

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •