Welcome to the Tribe...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: recalls letters

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 49
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered

Level

Default recalls letters

My private GI practice has been using SOAPware since 2002, then in 2009 only SOAPware EMR and the PM as well. As a GI practice it is imperative that my office state be able to input colonoscopy and upper endoscopy recall dates into the system. My office manager tells me that since 2009 this has been somewhat problematic for her. Presently she enters the recall date in the Health Maintenance tab using the rules set up by our office to complete the “next due date” by months or years. In theory it seems she should be able to generate a Health Maintenance report that would print out recall letters and automatically document in the chart a letter was sent. The problem seems to be that the report only allows a “due on or before” date.

Without a “from date to due on or before date” the monthly report generates all patients from 2009 on. We are presently up to 25 full pages of listed patient names. Each month my office manager has to manually compare the last set of pages to the new set of pages for additional names new on the current recall list. She then has to go into each newly listed patient’s chart, document in the assessment that she is generating a recall letter, and then go into our “created document design” recall letter and print. As you can imagine, month after month, year after year since 2009 this is a tedious task that takes up hours of time.

I know my office has been in touch with SOAPware since 2009 asking if it is possible for the Health Maintenance report to insert a “from-to” date capability…5/1/17-5/31-17 which would allow her to create the report with only the month to month names. This would also allow her to utilize the auto generate and documentation of the letter. She has been told this is not a feature that is or will soon be introduced.

As an alternative she says she could enter the recall information in the appointment scheduler out 3-5-10 years on an off office day. This is how she recorded recalls while using tour previous PM system. For instance a May 2017 three year recall could be entered the first Sat of May 2020. Every patient requiring a recall for May 2020 would be added to this day’s schedule. Month to month she would print out the first Sat of the month schedule for the list of patients needing a recall letter. She would then have to as she is doing now go into each patient chart to generate and document a recall letter. Unfortunately this alternative will not work in SOAPware as the scheduler allows movement ahead only by days, weeks and months, not years and not to a specific date. My manager has asked if a movement ahead in years or to a specific date scheduler feature could be added that would allow one to directly go to for example a 5/2020 calendar. She has been told this is not a considered feature at this time either. Requesting that we financially support such features has been denied as well.

Support has been understanding to our issue but has no solution other that the tedious one presently being used. I find it difficult to believe that my practice is the sole practice using SOAPware that requires tracking recalls. We have not been able to gain any knowledge of how others manipulate the program to easily create the necessary recall list.

I would appreciate if any SOAPware users also have this serious dilemma with this program deficiency and advise my office on how to easily input a recall date, print out only a month to month recall list and document in the chart that such a necessary letter was generated.

Thank you.

SOAPware Forum Junkie!
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

I dont have a good answer for you, but what I do is that I made a User named test follow up, when we order a test we also put a task for that user to follow up with a specific listed date, I think you can pick that date by year with out much trouble. The list might get quite cumbersome with follow up for 1000s of colonscopies. When you click on the task item it brings up the chart and it is easy to print out a letter and then resolve the task or reassign the task.

James

SOAPware Forum Junkie!
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

This is hard to explain but it is possible. We store Health Maintenance items under Summary Interventions. One heading is Colonoscopy. Under the heading of colonoscopy is a list called "Repeat". Under repeat is a list of years from 2017 to 2027.
    Colonoscopy: Repeat 2017
    Each of those years is actually a Smart Text item with a Site Custom Code 3017F2017, 3017F2018, etc. Each year we run a report for that Site Custom code that lists the patients due for a colonoscopy that year.

Since you are actually doing the procedure, I assume that you have a template created for your SOAP note that includes recommended repeat time (1-3-5-10 yrs). As an example, if you could include a Smart text statement in your note that says Repeat colonoscopy is recommended in 2017, you can code that statement with a Site Custom Code such as 3017F2017. You can then create a Smart Dictionary item and then do a SmartSearch for it. As example you can include a document date range of 6/1/2014-6/30/2014 and search those documents for 3017F2017. This Search can display patient demographics. I know it works because I just tested it a lunchtime.

SOAPware Forum Junkie!
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

Jim

I have been using a similar method to keep track of tests and HM in the Intervention section however I have trouble searching for items that did not happen.

Can you use this method to find items that were not done?

One of my biggest problems is finding patients that did not get a test done. For example patients that never had a colonoscopy or colonoscopy in the right time range.

Thanks

James

SOAPware Forum Junkie!
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorW View Post
    Jim

I have been using a similar method to keep track of tests and HM in the Intervention section however I have trouble searching for items that did not happen.

Can you use this method to find items that were not done?

One of my biggest problems is finding patients that did not get a test done. For example patients that never had a colonoscopy or colonoscopy in the right time range.

Thanks

James
    There is a SmartSearch option "Summary Field does not contain". We use that for our Smartflow pop ups for Hep C screen and Prevnar. The pop up disappears when Hep C and Prevnar are documented. These pop ups work really well. I wish I'd documented our percentages pre and post implementation of the pop ups. I bet for Hep C we've moved from 5% to at least 50%. I guess using that "Summary Field does not contain" option you could do a SmartSearch for a blank Colonoscopy header for patients between 50 and 80? Not sure how you find the ones that are overdue. I usually catch those when I see the patients.